Live in harmony with one another.
Isn’t the scripture above just as sweet and benign as can be? Live in harmony with one another! I can do that. However, in the amplified Greek definition, the same verse reads “readily adjust yourself to people.”
Do you have someone in your life who won’t change? Wow, can they be frustrating!! They can drive you crazy. Most of you know my dear, sweet husband Jim. I always tell you how perfect he is, and 99% of the time he is. The other 1%, I could just smack him—especially when he is holding the clicker and flipping from channel to channel to channel. For me to act in a certain way, there is always a good reason. For Jim, there is just NO excuse. Yet, scripture tells US to adjust to them.
In 1 Corinthians 9:20 Paul has learned to adjust and adapt. He writes, “To the Jew I became like a Jew; to those under the law I became like one under the law, to the weak I became weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some . . . and share in the blessings God offers.” One of the blessings God offers is peace. If you want peace in your home, peace in your workplace, you just might have to adapt and adjust yourself to other people. We can’t always have our own way. I am not suggesting that you become a doormat. But there are times when we must change.
How does your dedication to God show in your relationship with others—your spouse, children, co-workers, friends, enemies? This week, think about how you can practice love and peace. How might you need to change?
Affirmation: I have the calm peace of God in my soul. I am a loving person.